A 14-year-old boy has been arrested after an assault on a pupil and a teacher at a Surrey school.

Two males ‘scaled the fence’ to get into Ash Manor School last Wednesday (May 10), made their way to a classroom and attacked a student, according to a letter from the school’s headteacher.

In what was described as a “serious and distressing” situation, a teacher intervened to protect the student and was assaulted in the process at the secondary school in Manor Road, Ash.

Surrey Police confirmed today (Wednesday) that officers had been called to the school in the afternoon of May 10, following reports of a pupil and teacher being assaulted by two boys in a classroom before leaving the school premises.

A spokesperson said a 14-year-old boy had been arrested on suspicion of actual bodily harm and malicious communications and remained in custody.

Agnes Bailey, the school’s headteacher, said in a letter sent to all parents: “This serious and distressing situation was quickly managed with consummate care and professionalism by staff at the school.

“I am pleased to note that a number of students who were directly involved also conducted themselves with distinction and courage and have shown real care and consideration for the student and member of staff who were assaulted.

“This was a distressing experience for students and staff alike and we are working to support those students who have been affected.”

She confirmed she had immediately contacted police and that the time between the attackers entering and exiting was less than three minutes.

Ms Bailey said she understood the temptation to speculate about events on social media, and to want to contact the school on hearing rumours about the events. She added: “While this is a reasonable reaction, it can hinder our progress at critical times and lead to the spread of misinformation, causing greater worry and alarm for the wider community as well as for those directly involved.”

She asked parents to “continue to trust” the school’s management of the situation.

In a statement to the Local Democracy Reporting Service, a school spokesperson said: “We cannot comment further on individual cases or ongoing investigations.

“We can, however, assure you that safeguarding is always our priority and we will continue to work with the police and relevant agencies appropriately.”

Inspector Blaine Rafferty, Borough Commander for Guildford, said: “I appreciate this incident will be concerning to pupils and parents and we are working closely with the school as part of our investigation.

“There will be a continued police presence in the area, as well as youth engagement officers visiting the school to speak with pupils, whilst we continue carrying out enquiries.”