A new plaque commemorating National Trust founder Sir Robert Hunter has been unveiled at Waggoner's Wells near Grayshott.
The local National Trust ranger team and the Ludshott Committee gave a very special welcome to the family of Sir Robert for the unveiling of the plaque on the common, previously known as Waggeners Wells.
The trust added the new plaque accurately reflects the writing on the original Hunter Stone nearby, which was erected in 1919 in memory of local resident, Sir Robert.
The inscription on the stone commemorates the purchase of Waggoners Wells by Sir Robert’s friends and neighbours, and its donation to the National Trust in 1908.
Over the past 100 years, the inscription on the stone has become eroded, and mosses and lichens of botanical interest colonised the stone, but since it is an archaeological artifact, a full-scale restoration wasn’t possible.
Therefore, the decision was taken to replicate the inscription from the stone on a new plaque, funded by the Ludshott Committee and made by the Ludshott National Trust ranger team using oak from the common.
The plaque was unveiled on November 19, 2022, by the family of Sir Robert in a short ceremony attended by members of Ludshott Committee, National Trust teams and volunteers.
Gordon Gardner, general manager for the National Trust Hinton Portfolio encompassing Ludshott Common said: "The unveiling of this plaque commemorates the acquisition of Ludshott Common into our care and a significant moment in the National Trust’s history.
“It will help remind future generations of the importance of this site and how we must continue to care for these places, upholding the original aims of the charity as our founding members, including Sir Robert Hunter, would have wanted.”
The unveiling of the plaque was followed by a tour of the lakes by the lead ranger for Ludshott Common, and a celebratory lunch.
PHOTOS: KATHLEEN BIRD