Work has begun on the new Sainsbury’s supermarket in Whitehill & Bordon town centre.

The work began today (August 28) after contracts were agreed earlier in the year.

Cllr Andy Tree, East Hampshire District Council deputy leader and portfolio holder for the Whitehill and Bordon area, met with Robert Smith, head of major disposals at the Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO), and James Child, of developer Whitehill and Bordon Regeneration Company (WBRC), to discuss the progress of the project.

An artist's impression of the new Sainsbury's in Bordon, which is due to open in autumn 2026.
An artist's impression of the new Sainsbury's in Bordon, which is due to open in autumn 2026. (EHDC)

Cllr Tree said: “I was previously advised that work would begin by end of August and so met with DIO and EHDC today for an update that I could share with fellow residents.

“I am encouraged to have been told that site clearance started on today with foundation work scheduled to start on Monday, September 1.”

He said he had been advised the main steelwork body of the structure would be going up in early 2026, which will be the most visual part of the build.

“I will be keeping in regular contact with the DIO/WBRC as work continues and I am pleased they say they plan to give monthly updates for residents and to install time-lapse cameras, so we can all follow the build as it progresses,” he added.

The DIO and WBRC have advised the following proposed construction dates. Foundation work is expected to be completed by October 2025, with the steel frame and superstructure finished by March 2026. The roof and windows are scheduled to be in place by July 2026, and the shop is planned to open in October 2026.