Farnham’s first team had to settle for a draw against Old Hamptonians on Saturday.

It was Farnham’s first timed game of the season and as skipper James Berry wasn’t available, the mantle was passed down to Nathan Thorpe – who promptly lost the toss and was asked to bat first at the Park.

Farnham opened with Thorpe and Guy Hicks.

Old Hamptonians consistently bowled on a good line and length, which made runs hard to come by.

However, Thorpe and Hicks importantly negotiated the opening spells and started to build a platform. Thorpe was the more fluent of the pair before the opening stand of 84 was cut short when Hicks was caught for a labouring 24.

This brought Tom Flack to the crease. Thorpe and Flack started to put more pressure on the fielding team and added 32 for the second wicket, before Thorpe was caught and bowled for a well-made 69.

At 116 for two Farnham knew they needed to up the run rate to get their total up to a competitive score.

Harry Morrogh joined Flack at the crease, and the pair combined well – taking quick singles and punishing the bad balls. They were rattling along, taking the Farnham total to 159 when Flack was run out coming back for a third.

Morrogh batted beautifully before he fell to a slower ball and was bowled for an enterprising 43 to leave Farnham well poised at 184 for four.

The middle order tried to launch Farnham far past the 200-mark, but wickets tumbled and the hosts finished on 201 for eight after 55 overs.

Farnham knew Old Hamptonians would need to come out hard to chase the total in 45 overs.

The home side got off to the perfect start with overseas player Brady Poole taking a wicket in his first over, caught by Thorpe at cover. Robbie Goldsworthy then joined the party, nicking off Max Vyvyan who was caught by captain Thorpe at second slip. Old Hamptonians were 20 for two.

With the pitch taking turn, spinners Thorpe and Jake Henderson were introduced into the attack to provide spin at both ends.

A third-wicket stand of 55 put an end to the visitors’ nervy start, before Henderson picked up his first wicket, removing Ben Chippendale leg before wicket for a well-made 46. Henderson struck again when Trent Park chased a wide delivery and hit it straight at Adam Elstow at cover.

Thorpe brought seam bowler Elstow into the attack, and he soon dismissed Raza Mughal for a duck thanks to a smart catch by Poole at mid-on, reducing the visitors to 91 for five.

Farnham struggled to break the sixth-wicket partnership until some brilliant fielding by Thorpe created a run out opportunity and removed Old Hamptonians skipper Robert Bentley for a quickfire 40.

Henderson then picked up his third wicket of the match, bowling Adam Lee for 26 to leave the game in the balance.

Thorpe came back into the attack and picked up his first wicket when Jayden Park was stumped by the quick hands of Jamie Strachan.

Old Hamptonians were 176 for eight with four overs remaining.

The game could have gone either way at this point, but Old Hamptonians blocked out for the draw, scoring 177 for eight off their 45 overs.

Henderson was the pick of the bowlers, taking three for 35 off his 14 overs.

Farnham travel to Oxted and Limpsfield on Saturday.