Badshot Lea manager Gavin Smith didn’t get too downbeat after his side fell to a 3-1 defeat at Hanworth Villa in the Isthmian League South Central Division last Tuesday night (November 28).

The home side took an early lead in the tenth minute when Theo Crawford headed home from Sam Merson’s free kick.

Hanworth Villa doubled their lead in the 55th minute through Merson’s excellent free kick, and Ben Geraghty made it 3-0 in the 65th minute when he slotted home.

The Baggies pulled a goal back on 75 minutes when Reece Robins’ pass found Anthony Mendy, who tapped home to make it 3-1.

“I thought it would be a difficult match for us,” said Smith.

“We had a lot of possession but were just missing that final bit of quality.

“Hanworth Villa are quite direct but are very good at what they do and created some good chances.

“The free kick from Sam Merson for the second goal was absolute quality – and we know he can do that.”

The Baggies were frustrated by the weather on Saturday, when their trip to Northwood was postponed because of a frozen pitch.

Tuesday night’s league game at home to Westfield was also postponed because of the weather following a pitch inspection at Westfield Lane.

Next up for the Baggies is a home game against Isthmian League South Central Division leaders Chertsey Town on Saturday (3pm), and Smith is looking forward to the challenge.

“We’re looking forward to the Chertsey game and will be going out there looking to get a result,” said Smith.

The Baggies have suffered an injury crisis in midfield in recent weeks with George Frise, Josh Keeya, Massimo Giamattei, Kane Fitzgerald and Kai Allsopp all picking up injuries – but Smith is hoping to have some of his key men back for Saturday’s game.

“We should hopefully have Kane and Kai available for the Chertsey game,” said Smith.

“Massimo’s injury is not as bad as was first feared and Josh has had his stitches out.”

The Baggies are also set to be in action next Tuesday night (December 12), when they will host Combined Counties Premier Division South outfit Cobham in the second round of the Surrey Senior Cup (7.45pm).